Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Iowa City

After a long day on the saddle yesterday the team was ready for a shorter day today into Iowa City. Because we arent able to take interstates we have to take back roads and highways a lot that often take us out of the way, even so today we only have 30 miles. The team woke up at 6 A.M. and went into the normal daily routine. Getting ready for a shorter ride though is sometimes harder because your mind isnt as into the day as it would be for a longer ride. I got dressed and put my duffle bag and backpack outside and then realized that I had a flat tire. The day before I noticed a hole in my back tire but was still able to ride the whole day on it without a problem, but I guess that caught up to me. Because it was such a short ride I didnt really worry to much about it and racked my bike for the day.

I rode with Mark to Iowa City and it felt like everyone made it there in less than an hour. I was pretty excited to go to Iowa City because we have two guys that go to the University of Iowa and going to another college town with guys who attend that school would be fun. We arrived at the old Capitol Building and were greeted by members of the Arc as well as a few media people. The team lined up in front of the building, met some people and then went to one of the residence halls for lunch. The dorm food at Iowa made the food at UT look so bad and everyone enjoyed a great lunch. Once everyone was  nice and full we made our way over to a recreation center where we would be staying the night. A lot of the guys took advantage of the pool, and some slept but I went straight to a bike shop to get new tires. The last thing I wanted to do was miss another day so I took advantage of the down time. It is ridiculous how much bike stuff costs sometimes but I got my new tires and put them on my bike.


Once I got back to lodging I still had a little while to get some rest before our friendship visit so i laid down for about 45 minutes. We got up around 5 pm and loaded up in the vehicles for our friendship visit. We went to the Arc of Iowa City to eat dinner and hang out for a few hours. We ate pizza and enjoyed great conversation with the clients there. One of the girls I ate lunch with was named Erin and she was the star of the show for sure. Erin attracted a lot of attention and I could tell she loved having all of us guys around. We all had a great time hanging out together and it was sad to say goodbye. Erin insisted on taking pictures with as many of us as she possibly could and I was glad to get one with her!




Because two of my teammates go to Iowa we took advantage and had them show us around a little bit. After the friendship visit one of David's chapter brothers came and picked us up and took us to their fraternity house. We spent a couple of hours there playing xbox, watching tve and relaxing. Breaking into smaller groups is necessary some times and it was nice getting everyone else's insight on the trip. We walked back to lodging and once we were there I was very ready for bed. Another great day in the books, and more memories made. Tomorrow we have another short day and we arrive in Daveport!

Something I realized while I was in Iowa City is how much I miss Knoxville. You cant beat being in a college town but no where on earth makes me happier than Big Orange Country. Although I am having the summer of my life I really look forward to a new year at The University of Tennessee and seeing all of my friends and brothers again. There is no place like Rocky Top. GO VOLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment