Saturday, July 27, 2013

Project Manager for the day


Last night while we were out getting ice cream, my Project Manager Nick came up to me and ask me if I wanted to do his job the next day because he wasn’t feeling well and wanted to rest. Doing this would cause me to miss a day on the bike but I agreed and was excited to take on the day from a different perspective. Being the Project Manager meant I was first in command of the team. Nick does a lot everyday to make sure everything runs smoothly and so that all the cyclists have to worry about is riding their bikes. I didn’t have to do all of his work because a lot of it deals with talking to headquarters, but I did the other tedious jobs that he faces on a day to day basis.

My day started at 4:45, which is 30 minutes before the cyclist woke up. In that time I had to get ready, make sure the crew had started their morning jobs, and do anything other small things that needed to be done before the cyclist woke up. While the cyclists were getting ready for their day I was preparing the board that we go over during morning circle up, I met with the principal of the school we stayed at to make sure everything was okay, and then talked to our breakfast sponsor. I realized that a lot goes on while I am getting out of bed, putting on my cycling gear and preparing my bike for the day. After the cyclist get all of their stuff out the door and started eating I had to load their luggage into the vehicle and then go back inside and make sure everything was cleaned up. Checking every bathroom, the area we slept in and everywhere else someone might have gone was on the checklist of things to go over. I did a walk through with the principal to make sure things met her expectations and then was able to go outside and get breakfast. The sponsor this morning made us a delicious casserole, and brought us juice and yogurt. Once everyone had eaten I had to do a circle up with the crew to discuss the days route and make sure they knew where they had to be. The night before I went out with Spencer to scout the route to make sure the conditions were ride able and we could go the planned course. Once the crew was set the entire team did a circle up with the sponsors and we went over the day. After thanking the sponsors for their support, I discussed the day’s ride, our programming, and the expectations for the day. After we did our disability of the day and morning prayer. After taking our daily team photo in front of the high school I made each sponsor an honorary team member by presenting them with a team shirt. Soon after the cyclist were sent to start their ride, and my job was nearly close to being over.

Once the cyclist are on the road a new list of jobs presents itself. Nick and Spencer (the logistics coordinator) drive into the town we will be staying in that day to set up lodging, meet with the sponsors and scout out every possible move the team makes. We went into Kalamazoo and headed straight to lodging which is a dorm at the University of Western Michigan. We had to check everyone into the door and make sure there were enough rooms to hold everyone. Once that was finished we got back into the car and went to our lunch location. Because the sponsors were very close friends to Spencer things worked out a little differently, but while there we helped set up by putting up table and chairs, filling up coolers and anything doing some dishes. The cyclist pushed a very fast pace today so before we knew it they began to arrive at the location and everyone enjoyed a wonderful lunch. The team went around and did introductions and then we did another tshirt presentation. Before the cyclist could get back on the bikes to ride to the dorms I had to get there to make sure things were ready. Spencer and I arrived at the dorms and we were in a rush to get the luggage unloaded and to fill out the board so that the cyclist knew what they were doing.

After everyone arrived at lodging and were up in their rooms I had a little free time to get some things done. I was able to shower and make my bed and then I got a text from Spencer asking me if I wanted to go scout for tomorrows ride and I jumped at the chance to do so. Although I am not going to be PM again tomorrow I thought it would be helpful to check out the route for tomorrow before I rode it. We got back from scouting around 4:30 and the dinner sponsor had already arrived. I talked to them for a little bit until the team came down stairs and then we ate dinner. During dinner a few of my jobs were to talk to the sponsors and keep the company, but most importantly to let the team know when they can get up and get seconds. We had a great dinner and after everyone did their introductions and took the team picture we got ready for circle up. During circle up I let the team know what they will be doing tomorrow and then I was done for the day!

It was a lot of fun spending a day as the guy in charge. A lot of work goes into this trip being a success and usually the cyclist don’t even know that the small things are happening. It really made me appreciate what is done for me so that I am safe on the road, I get fed everyday and I have a nice place to sleep. I look forward to getting back on the saddle tomorrow and being able to turn my brain off once again and only worry about spinning my legs. 

Spencer Haworth and I crossing into his home state

No comments:

Post a Comment