Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 5


Woke up this morning feeling absolutely terrible. I asked my project manger if he would allow me to ride and he felt it would be best if I hung back with the crew today and let my body rest. So today while my team rode 65 miles and climbed about 3500 feet, I sat in crew van number 4 with Sam on my birthday.

Arrival in Sacramento took us down by the river to meet with a Pi Alpha mom, who brought us all delicious sandwiches, chips, and watermelon. And to make it even better, the wonderful sponsor brought Austin and I a cake (a guy from FSU who also celebrated a birthday today) that was absolutely fantastic. It was so nice of the women to do that simply out of the kindness of her heart.

The day was finished by a friendship visit, which I was absolutely ecstatic for. We all caravanned over to the Southside Center where we were going to hang out with a group who comes together everyday to work on things such as ceramics, choir, playing instruments and interestingly enough, recycling. They have a huge room with bins that they separate different kinds of recycled materials. During our friendship visit their band and choir performed 10 songs for us that they have been working on for months, and had been so anxious to perform for us. Everyone had an awesome time singing and dancing. It is the moments like these that make me appreciate all that I have in my life, and thankful that I am given the opportunity to participate in such an amazing journey.

Tomorrow I am hopeful that I will be getting on the bike and riding into Jackson with my team. We will just hope for the best! 
Below is a picture from our friendship visit. Also pictured are two of my teammates, Michael Brooks from UH, and Saurabh Mehta from the Miami of Ohio


No comments:

Post a Comment