Saturday, June 15, 2013

Finally over being sick!


It was great getting on the bike today and riding with my team. Today we finally left the state of California and crossed into Nevada. Just 30 miles into our ride we arrived in Carson City, Nevada. I rode with Jack Johnson who is one of my chapter brothers at Tennessee, and Beau Samples who goes to Miami of Ohio. The ride started pretty tough, with 6 miles straight up hill, but once we got to the top we enjoyed a nice 8 mile decline. I am not going to mention how fast I was going down the mountain because my mother reads this and she will kill me, but I will say there was a moment when I was going faster than the posted speed limit for motor vehicles.


Once we arrived in Carson City, we went to the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada and hung out with all the kids. It was a lot of fun to let loose and play some games outside that I haven’t since I was in elementary school like four square and tether ball. Another awesome thing we did today was performing a puppet show. A couple of our guys did a skit with a boy who cerebral palsy and it was great to see the kids get involved and ask questions.

After the Boys and Girls club we headed to the Children Museum and hung out there and performed the skit again in front of some other children. The museum was so much fun, and everyone had a great time playing and acting like a kid again.

For dinner we went to a member of the Carson City Rotaries house and had an absolutely fantastic dinner. The host had laid out tables in their back yard and cooked out steak, and many different side dishes for us. I sat with a Rotarian who started her own non-profit business helping out the homeless across the country that have pets feed them, and well as provide veterinarian care.

We arrived back at Carson High School where we were staying and had a team meeting, which was very interesting. We went over what was going to be happening that week, and people expressed opinions or feelings towards things that have happened thus far in the trip.


All the members of the Boys and Girls Club waiting to watch the puppet show! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment