Sunday, June 23, 2013

Finally out of Nevada


Finally out of Nevada
After a 5:30 wake up, the team met outside and we took a vote on whether or not to add miles to the ride to make it over 100 miles. Most people thought it would be nice to say we were able to ride over 100 miles an extra time so after a unanimous vote it was decided we would increase the mileage on our ride to make it a century day which made me a little nervous but there really isnt much of a difference between 96 and 100. 

I rode with Jeremy Osbourne from Central Michigan and Jason Milliken from Miami of Ohio. I was pretty excited to ride with them because they were two more guys I had not rode with yet. The first two miles which were two of the four we added on were absolutely horrible, but once our legs got warmed up we were ready to roll. We quickly became one of the leading pace lines of the day. 

About 11 miles into our ride we arrived at the border of Nevada and Utah, which I was extremely thrilled about. When we got to the Utah sign it said “Life Elevated” I knew that could be a bad thing, especially because I hate riding up mountains. Although I am starting to get better at climbing, it still is not fun to see mountain ranges ahead of you while riding awaiting you. Once crossing into Utah we had to climb a few hills but nothing major. Everything was rolling awesome until we got to lunch and took a 15 minute break. Getting back on the bikes after that was pretty miserable, especially since the roads we had to ride on were horribly paved, which slowed down our pace drastically, but we pounded out the last 25 miles and arrived in Delta as the second pace line. All three of us did a great job of pushing and motivating each other throughout the day.

Josh Preslar and I at the Utah/Nevada State Line reppin Big Orange 
My pace line and another one taking a picture by the salt flats 

It was an incredible feeling to finally finish a long day on the bike after feeling sick so much during the trip. I could not have done it without the support of my pace line, and also the support of everyone back home that continues to send me love. 

Once we got to Delta High school where we are staying tonight I showered and laid down and relaxed. After 6 ½ hours in the saddle I was pretty warn out. The team went out for a casual dinner at a Mexican restaurant and then went back to lodging for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment