Sunday, June 9, 2013

The day we have all been waiting for

Finally June 9th has come, kickoff, and the day all 35 of us have been waiting for. Going to sleep last night I was so excited to wake up, put my biking gear on and cross the Golden Gate Bridge and ride 70 miles into Napa. Unfortunately, that is not how today went. I woke up this morning with a fever and a pretty bad cold, so after saying goodbye to my family, and San Francisco I crossed the GG Bridge with my team, road about 5 miles and then had to rack my bike because I was unable to go any farther. So after putting my bike on the van I rode with the crew for the rest of the day.

Riding with the crew was interesting, but something I do not want to have to do a lot. It was very frustrating seeing my teammates out on the road, while I sat on the sidelines. Although riding with the crew made me appreciate all that they do for us cyclist, and all of the hard work they put in to keep us safe out there.

Once we arrived in Napa everyone got showered up and we made our way to a local park to meet up with a group of challenger league baseball teams. The teams were having a cookout to celebrate the end of the season, and hand out trophies. It was awesome hang out with everyone, and experiencing with them the excitement of receiving a trophy, and talking about their seasons. One participant I really bonded with was a guy named Ian. He is 17 years old and absolutely full of energy. He was break dancing, and having the time of his life. We began to bond while waiting in line for dinner, and boy can he eat a cheeseburger!

After eating, Ian and I walked around and every single person we walked up to he made sure to introduce me as his new best buddy Stephen. It really put a smile on my face, and I couldn't have asked for a better time. 

Tomorrow we head to Sacramento, the capitol of California. I am hoping to feel better by the morning so I can get out on the road with my team. As much as I appreciate the crew and all that they do for us, cycling is much more fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment