Sunday, June 23, 2013

First Century day of the summer


The ride from Fallon to Austin is 113 miles, and this was our farthest ride so far. I woke up not to worried about the ride, and excited to make it across the hot desert with my teammates. Hydration was a key factor in the success of this ride, and I greatly underestimated the amount I needed to drink. I rode about 35 miles and the heat really started to get to me, but with the help of my teammates kept me pushing. I got to lunch, which was 70 miles in, and I couldn’t do it anymore. The heat had completely fatigued me, and I was having trouble breathing so my crew chief thought it would be best to sit out the rest of the day. Once again I was sitting in the crew van frustrated because I was in a van instead of on my bike. I rode with Jesus Palma the rest of the way to Austin and then showered up for our sponsored dinner later on.

We arrived to eat dinner made by the “Ladies of Austin.” The wonderful hostesses made us a delicious thanksgiving dinner,  including turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. It is always nice getting to eat such nourishing meals, especially after long days in the saddle. After dinner the whole team introduced themselves to the ladies and then we sang them the song of Pi Kappa Phi, something often done to women who are close to our brotherhood. Afterwards everyone went back to lodging to get ready for the 75 mile ride tomorrow. Not looking forward to another hot day in the Nevada Desert. 

The team thanking the "Ladies of Austin" after a great meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment